DMHS Suns Basketball Team

Mark Garcia, Staff Writer

Ladies and gentlemen the basketball season is just around the corner and there is so much to discuss. This year’s team will be composed of almost half of them being new to the varsity team. Although already having played with each other on the schoolyard and on the JV team, the coach still has some adjustments to make. With the unfortunate recent injuries of Maleek Willis and Sydney, the coach has to ensure this team has the defense capability it has shown with Sydney on the court. As said by the captain Roman McGee, “ I think all of us as a team have to step up more than just a few key guys. We are young and we don’t have much size, but when we get that flow and chemistry together it’s gonna be scary.” Although having a mismatch on the court in size the coach does intend to make up for it with strong perimeter defense, and really making use of the offensive talent at his disposal. We have players that can get hot in a hurry, but when the whole team gets hot, man is it a game to watch. The main objective for this season would be to hold the consistency when they catch fire. “It’s a rebuilding year since we had so many seniors leave last year, however we still have high expectations coming off a 14-1 season last year, despite losing some key guys.”(Roman McGee). With all these new players the coach and the players need to find a rhythm that suits them the best and they need to find it quickly as competition in the freeway league can get pretty intense. Downtown Magnets High School is starving for a basketball championship for a very long time. Can this be the start of a new era in which Roman McGee leads the Suns to a championship? Keep a close eye folks, this is a season to watch!