Spring Sports Mayhem

Mark Garcia, Staff Writer

Lately we have seen an immense amount of rain in these past couple of days, which can only mean one thing. Opening day of MLB is just around the corner. Yeah the Super Bowl might have been the letdown of the century, but MLB does this kind of stuff all season long. Title contenders in the beginning of the season could be in last place at the end. Well, we’re in for one of the most exciting seasons of Major League Baseball, America has ever seen. The power rankings around this time of year are always out of sync with the power rankings at the end of the season, but here are some teams that you should keep your eye on.

Chicago Cubs: The young core of the best hitters in the league looks promising for Chicago, but injuries and rotations could knock them off course. They are fresh off their championship season and looking to defend their title. They can feel the Cleveland Indians on their backs waiting for revenge. Now that the Bambino’s Curse has finally been lifted, many Chicago fans are finding themselves believing in the Cubs again.

Los Angeles Dodgers: Everyone has been waiting for the Dodgers to get back to the World Series, and this year looks like a title contending year. This may be th
e last time Clayton Kershaw may ever have a chance to win the World Series in Los Angeles. The clock is ticking on Kershaw and age is becoming the main enemy. We had a good run last season, but fans are really hoping for the magical season.

Anaheim Angels: The Angels have found themselves in a pretty bad pickle. Many criticize the Anaheim’s front office for wasting Mike Trout’s best years.
The youngster has had three All-Star appearances and is hungry for a title. Angels roster may not be the best in the league but we can definitely expect a fight for at least the Wildcard playoff spot. Who knows, we could possibly see a trade of Mike Trout?

Washington Nationals: The Nationals have lost the division series three times in the last five years. Fans are becoming frustrated with the team, but they are in no position to start losing hope. Sure, injuries still do plague this title-contending team, but if they’re star players maintain healthy, we are in for a wild ride in the Division Series.