Update on DMHS Sports

In these last 5 weeks we are starting to come to an end to sport competition and beginning to ruthlessly study for end of the year exams. So as the year comes to a close, let’s see how our school did in this year’s competition.

Cross Country:

A good showing from both Boys and Girls for representing the school in City Finals. Although coming up a bit short, Downtown Magnets is showing some promising talent in Juan Clara who made Varsity only in his sophomore year. As for Melissa Lopez, her last year on the girls varsity track team, finished her High School sun strong and could possibly be the best runner The Suns will see for quite some time.

Basketball:

A young core is developing on the asphalt here at DMHS for the boys vasity basketaball team. With key seniors that left last year, the young core was able to develop and had a stable season finishing 9-8. They made playoffs but lost in the first round due to the injury plague. This season we got to see glimpses of a glorious future. The girls had an exceptional showing this season as it is their first season in which the girls have made it to playoffs. They were also knocked out in the first round by an experienced West Adams High School.

Soccer:

This season is a truly “what could’ve been” season. These past two years we have probably seen the best Suns Soccer squad assembled since the 2012 season. It was senior season for more than half the team and this was the year to go deep into the season. Things often don’t come out as we want them to and the Soccer team only won 2 games but still managed to make the wild card for playoffs. The season ended in pouring rain, but the Sun always comes after the storm and are looking forward to next season after a very promising action from freshman goalkeeper.

Tennis:

This season turned out to be spectacular for the boys finishing with 9 wins and 3 losses but saw their hopes of playoffs depths go down the drain after a loss to Birmingham High School. Last year we did make it to finals but ended up losing to a much more experienced Palisades High School.

Track and Field:

As they have just started their season, they are beginning to show signs of life through the various meters races but still have not found people to compete in the other sections. Still we manage to pull key victories without strong showings in the other sectors.